Pride and Prejudice (2 of 146)

trimming a hat
装饰帽子

resentfully
充满愤恨地

She is a selfish, hypocritical woman, and I have no opinion of her.
她是个自私自利、假仁假义的女 人,我睢不起她。

"Kitty has no discretion in her coughs," said her father; "she times them ill."
“吉蒂真不知趣,”她的父亲说;“咳嗽也不知道拣个时候。”

I honour your circumspection.
我真佩服你想得这般周到。

"What can be the meaning of that emphatic exclamation?"
“你怎么这样大惊小怪!”

For you are a young lady of deep reflection, I know, and read great books and make extracts.
你是个有独到见解的少女,读的书都是 皇皇巨著,而且还要做札记。

fatigued with the raptures of his wife
看到太太那样得意忘形,不免觉得有些厌恶。

conjecturing
推测,猜测

Pride and Prejudice (1 of 146)

"My dear Mr. Bennet," said his lady to him one day, "have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?"
有一天班纳特太太对她的丈夫说:“我的好老爷,尼日斐花园终于租出去了,你听说 没有?”

he came down on Monday in a chaise and four to see the place
他星期一那天,乘着一辆驷马大轿车来看房子

how can you be so tiresome!
你怎么那么讨厌

"Is that his design in settling here?"
“他住到这儿来,就是为了这个打算吗?”

"My dear, you flatter me. I certainly have had my share of beauty, but I do not pretend to be anything extraordinary now. When a woman has five grown-up daughters, she ought to give over thinking of her own beauty."
“我的好老爷,你太捧我啦。从前也的确有人赞赏过我的美貌,现在我可有敢说有什么 出众的地方了。一个女人家有了五个成年的女儿,就不该对自己的美貌再转什么念头。”

"It is more than I engage for, I assure you."
“老实跟你说吧,这不是我份内的事。”

"You are over-scrupulous, surely. I dare say Mr. Bingley will be very glad to see you; and I will send a few lines by you to assure him of my hearty consent to his marrying whichever he chooses of the girls; though I must throw in a good word for my little Lizzy."
“你实在过分心思啦。彬格莱先生一定高兴看到你的;我可以写封信给你带去,就说随 便他挑中我哪一个女儿,我都心甘情愿地答应他把她娶过去;不过,我在信上得特别替小丽萃吹嘘几句。”

"They have none of them much to recommend them,"
她们没有哪一个值得 夸奖的

You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion for my poor nerves.
你是在故意叫我气恼,好让 你自己得意吧。你半点儿也不体谅我的神经衰弱。

Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three-and-twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character.
班纳特先生真是个古怪人,他一方面喜欢插科打浑,爱挖苦人,同时又不拘言笑,变幻莫测,真使他那位太太积二十三年之经验,还摸不透他的性格。

She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper.
她是个智力贫乏、不学无术、喜怒无常的女人。

its solace was visiting and news.
她生平的安慰就是访友拜客和打听新闻。

Basic Words.061015

abate
abet
abhor
abject
abode

abrogate
abscond
absolve
abstain
accentuate

accomplice
accredit
acquit
acrid
acumen